Arakawa: New Subdivision Code Streamlines Approvals
By Maui Now Staff
Maui Mayor Arakawa today signed revisions to the County Subdivision Code in an effort to streamline the approval process for both applicants and county staff, a county announcement said.
The mayor said the bill brings back “much needed efficiency” to the subdivision process.
According to information provided in a county press release, the code revisions include the following:
- Simplifies the number of tax clearances required;
- Eliminates redundancies with the building code;
- Clarifies that Council-approved zoning conditions prevail over subdivision requirements;
- Simplifies when and how extensions to subdivision applications are granted; and
- Eliminates language that indicated some leases were subject to subdivision.
In signing the revisions he said, “We need more common-sense changes to our laws like these revisions.”
Arakawa also expressed thanks to the Department of Public Works staff for their work on the bill saying, “This bill will save the public and county staff significant time and effort in processing future subdivisions, while retaining the needed safeguards to protect our community’s health, safety and the environment. Job well done.”