Maui News

Employee Suffers Minor Burns in Dragon Dragon Fire

November 11, 2013, 2:19 PM HST
* Updated November 11, 2:59 PM
A
A
A

Dragon Dragon Chinese Restaurant in Kahului, Maui. Photo by Wendy Osher.

Dragon Dragon Chinese Restaurant in Kahului, Maui. Photo by Wendy Osher.

By Wendy Osher

A 52-year-old male employee suffered minor burns to his arms and face as a result of a fire at the Dragon Dragon Chinese Restaurant in Kahului this afternoon, fire officials confirmed.

The incident was reported t 12:08 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 11, 2013, at the business located at 70 East Kaʻahumanu Avenue at the Maui Mall.

Fire crews responded to the reported structure fire to find the fire was extinguished upon arrival, and patrons had been evacuated from the restaurant, said Maui Fire Services Chief Lee Mainaga.

The fire, which was contained to the stove, was extinguished by the automatic fire sprinkler system, and caused an estimated $500 in minor water damage on the ceiling tiles, according to FS Chief Mainaga.  The employee, who was injured, refused medical transport, according to department reports.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

Fire officials say the cause of the fire is considered accidental, due to a valve on the stove malfunctioning.

Dragon Dragon Chinese Restaurant in Kahului, Maui. Photo by Wendy Osher.

Dragon Dragon Chinese Restaurant in Kahului, Maui. Photo by Wendy Osher.

E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App

Comments

This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments