Parks Permitting, Maintenance Improvements Focus of Meetings
By Maui Now Staff
A series of community meetings to discuss proposed permitting and scheduling improvements at Park facilities in Maui County is scheduled to take place in February and March.
The Maui Department of Parks and Recreation released the schedule today saying they will gather perspectives from park users during the meetings.
The department is currently in the process of restructuring its permitting process and facility maintenance program in an effort to provide “higher-quality recreational facilities and opportunities” for a wide-range of groups that utilize the Maui park resources.
“We look forward to collaboration with our youth, special needs, senior citizen and adult organizations and leagues in order to continue providing opportunities that encourage positive psychological, social, emotional and physical growth and development to the citizens and visitors of Maui County,” said Deputy Parks Director Brianne Savage in a press release.
All meetings begin at 5 p.m, unless otherwise noted, including the following:
- Waikapū: Tuesday, Feb. 18, at the Waikapū Community Center;
- Lahaina: Wednesday, Feb.19, at the Lahaina Civic Center;
- Hāna: Thursday, Feb.20, at the Old Hāna School Cafeteria;
- Lāna‘i: Tuesday, Feb.25, 4:30 p.m. at the Lāna‘i Community Center;
- Makawao: Wednesday, Feb.26, at the Eddie Tam Social Hall;
- Pā‘ia: Tuesday, March 4, at the Pā‘ia Community Center;
- Wailuku: Wednesday, March 5, at the Velma McWayne Santos Community Center;
- Kīhei: Thursday, March 6, at the Kīhei Community Center; and
- Moloka‘i: Tuesday, March 18, in the Kualapu‘u Community Center.
In an effort to develop stronger working relationships department personnel say they have already begun meeting with organizations and individuals that use the park facilities on a regular basis.
Department officials say the meetings have included high school athletic directors and officials from various youth sport organizations.
The department is also reaching out to adult sport organizations, special event coordinators, and tournament organizers for events that occur at park facilities.