UH Maui Gala Features Flavors of Greece, Vietnam, Italy
By Vanessa Wolf
This Thursday, April 17, the UHMC’s Lei’s Family Class Act Restaurant will host the first annual UH Maui Gala.
A collaboration of the Hospitality and Culinary Academies, the menu features a whopping 28 dishes from Greece, Vietnam and Italy.
But don’t just take our word for it.
The event’s website has provided the following (not-quite-comprehensive, but close) breakdown for those who want to know what their palates and pant waists can expect.
- Slow roasted pork and chicken galentine with honey lemon gastrique
- Vine ripened tomato and goat cheese Greek salad
- Watermelon and cucumber salad with feta and lemon vinaigrette
- Re-constructed moussaka on Yukon gold potato chips
- Toasted pine nut and arborio rice dolma with Meyer lemon relish
- Marinated grilled lamb on flatbread with yogurt sauce and feta
- “Arancini Di Riso” – Fried arborio zepoli with smoked mozzarella, peas and saffron
- Mushroom and spinach raviolo with walnut pesto and chili oil
- Cannellini Bean and Kale Salad
- House-made Italian Sausage with arugula and peppers on crispy polenta
- Summer roasted vegetable terrine
- “Cioppino Di Salsiccia” – Seafood sausage with encapsulated cioppino broth
- “Kamaboko” – Moussseline of kampachi with dashi aspic
- Watermelon rind namasu
- House-made soba with ginger soy vinaigrette
- Shichimi cured salmon with miso consomme and chiso scallion caviar
- “Chawan mushi” – Savory shitulce (and no, we don’t know what that is and yes, we did a triple-take as well) and seafood custard
- Crispy shrimp mochi with green tea foam
If all that food isn’t enough, organizers also note that “there will be many industry leaders, students, and members of the community” there to network with, as well.
The event runs from 5 to 7 p.m. and – in addition to all that food – a cash bar will be available.
Tickets are $50 each or $70 for a VIP seat.