Committees Approve $82 Million in Funds for Central Maui ProjectsApril 26, 2014, 11:47 AM HST · Updated April 26, 11:51 AM 0 Comments
By Wendy Osher
The House Finance Committee and Senate Ways and Means Committee put finishing touches on the state budget, approving funds for several key capital improvement projects in Central Maui, including funds for: the widening of Puʻunēnē Avenue; planning and design of a new middle school in Central Maui; and design and construction of a Central Maui Regional Park and Sports Complex.
The greatest appropriation was $32.5 million for the design and construction of a new parking garage at the Maui Memorial Medical Center; but it pales in comparison to the $305 million funding release announced by Governor Neil Abercrombie earlier this week for construction of a consolidated rental car facility at Kahului Airport.
Representative Justin Woodson of Maui, who represents Central Maui released a list of funding for CIP projects for his district that were included as part of House Bill 1700, HD1, SD1, CD1.
The list includes more than $82 million in CIP funds and an estimated $2.5 million in funds for operational Grant-in-Aid projects for Central Maui.
“We were able to obtain a considerable amount of funding for Central Maui. Mahalo nui loa for all of those community members that were involved in the process,” he said.
$82.8 Million in CIP funds for Central Maui:
- $32.5 Million for Maui Memorial Hospital – Design and construction of a new parking garage
- $10 Million for the widening of Puʻunēnē Avenue – From Kamehameha Avenue to Kūihelani Highway will increase to four lanes from the current 2 lanes. Installation of Safety and improvements.
- $10 Million for the construction of a new access road to Kahului Airport from Hāna Highway.
- $9.7 Million for the Central Maui Regional Park and Sports Complex – Design and construction.
- $6 Million for Kahului Airport – Improvements for safer and more efficient use of operation areas.
- $4 Million for Hale Mahaʻolu – Construction for a senior affordable rental housing campus at the Kulamalu town center subdivision.
- $2.7 Million for University of Hawaiʻi, Maui Campus – Planning, design, and construction for the Maui Food Innovation Center.
- $2.5 Million for New Middle School in Central Maui – Planning and Design
- $2.225 Million for the J. Walker Cameron Center – Construction of facility repairs, renovation and other related improvements.
- $2 Million for Maui Family YMCA – Construction for a new gymnasium.
- $750,000 for Maui High School, including: $300,000 for design and construction for weight training and wrestling rooms. Ground and site improvements; equipment and appurtenances; and $450,000 for design and construction to renovate and expand the band/choir building including additional storage. Ground and site improvements; equipment and appurtenances.
- $500,000 for Ka Lima o Maui – Construction for a new program, administrative and support facility.
$2.5 Million for Operational Grant-in-Aid for Central Maui:
- $927,532 for Maui Family Support Services, Inc.
- $550,000 for Maui Economic Development Board
- $210,000 for Hale Mahaʻolu
- $200,000 for Hoʻokūpaʻa
- $175,000 for Child and Family Service
- $140,000 for Maui Economic Opportunity
- $125,000 for Best Buddies Hawaiʻi, LLC
- $125,000 for Hui Mālama Learning Center
- $50,000 for Maui High School Booster Club