7 School Sites Available on Maui for Free Food Summer Program
By Wendy Osher
A total of 59 public schools in Hawaiʻi, including seven in Maui County, are offering a free summer food service program for kids as part of the federally funded Seamless Summer Option program through the US Department of Agriculture.
Hawaiʻi State Department of Education feeding sites in Maui County and hours of operation are as follows:
- Kahului Elementary: June 4 to July 2, breakfast 7:30 to 8:15 a.m. and lunch 10:45 to 11:30 a.m. (808) 873-3055.
- Kaunakakai: June 2 to June 13, breakfast 7:30 to 8:15 a.m., lunch 11:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. (808) 553-1730.
- Lānaʻi High and Elementary: June 9 to July 18, breakfast 7 to 8 a.m., and lunch 12 to 1 p.m. (808) 565-7900.
- Lihikai Elementary: June 2 to July 3, breafast 7:50 to 8:20 a.m., and lunch 11:20 a.m. to 12 p.m. (808) 873-3033.
- Maui High: June 3 to July 18, breakfast 7:15 to 8 a.m., and lunch 12 to 12:45 p.m. (808) 873-3000.
- Pukalani: June 3 to July 1, breakfast only 7:15 to 7:45 a.m. (808) 573-8760.
- Wailuku Elementary: June 9 to July 18, breakfast 7 to 8 a.m., and lunch 10:45 a.m. to 12 p.m. (808) 984-5622.
Many of the participating sites across the state begin service in early June. The meal program is free for all children 18 years and under.
The program is available Mondays through Fridays (except June 11 and July 4) and was established to ensure that low-income children continue to receive nutritious meals when school is not in session.
Meal recipients do not have to be enrolled in reduced price lunch programs in order to participate.
Earlier this week, the county announced that meals would also be offered to children at all county PALS sites on Maui and Molokaʻi through the federally-funded USDA Summer Food Service Program.