Maui News

Fire at Haʻikū Home Burns Kitchen

June 22, 2014, 4:58 PM HST
* Updated June 23, 5:33 AM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00
A
A
A

MFD logo. Photo by Wendy Osher.

MFD logo. Photo by Wendy Osher.

By Wendy Osher

A structure fire reported shortly before 1:30 p.m. on Sunday, June 22, burned a kitchen a surrounding area of a three bedroom home, fire officials said.

Fire crews from Engine 10 out of Kahului arrived at the home located at 25 Hohani Place in Haʻikū at 1:39 p.m., said Maui Fire Services Chief Lee Mainaga.

According to Mainaga, the fire was brought under control  at 2:05 p.m. and called extinguished at 2:24 p.m.

Fire officials say two people occupied the home single story home and one individual was home at the time of the fire, but no one was injured.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

Fire officials say the fire caused an estimated $250,000 in damage.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

FS Chief Mainaga said the cause was determined to be electrical but deemed accidental.

Make the most of your Maui vacation with these top-rated activities: Maui Top 20: Maui Visitor & Tourism Information
E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App

Comments

This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments