Welding Sparks Small Brush Fire in Hāliʻimaile
By Wendy Osher
Maui firefighters battled a small brush fire located off of Baldwin Avenue in the Hāliʻimaile area on Thursday, Sept. 11, 2014.
The fire was first reported at 10:56 a.m., and burned an area about a quarter-acre in size, according to fire officials.
Maui Fire Services Chief Lee Mainaga said the fire was caused by an individual welding in the area. According to Mainaga, the welding sparks caught nearby brush on fire.
No structures were threatened and no injuries were reported.
As of 12:30 p.m., fire crews from Makawao and Pāʻia remained on scene to mop up the fire.
Firefighters also fought a 15 acre fire reported at around 10:17 a.m. on Thursday, Sept. 11, in an area near the Dunes at Maui Lani Golf Course in Kahului.