West Maui Taxpayers Host Candidates Night
By Maui Now Staff
The West Maui Taxpayers Association will host a 2014 Candidates Night event on Friday, Oct. 24, at 5 p.m. at the Lahaina Civic Center.
The organization traditionally invites all federal, state and county candidates appearing on the West Maui ballot to the event.
Organizers say individuals in attendance will have a chance to have up close and personal interaction with candidates, while building awareness of West Maui issues.
For races in which both candidates are in attendance, there will be an opportunity for each candidate to provide an introductory statement, followed by a question or two presented in debate format.
For uncontested races, or races in which only one candidate is present, the candidate will be given an opportunity to introduce themselves to voters in the form of a brief statement.
As of Oct. 14, candidates confirmed for attendance included:
- US Senate: Michael Kokoski (L)
- US Representative, District 2: Joe Kent (L)
- Governor: Duke Aiona (R); and Mufi Hannemann (I)
- State Senate, District 6: Roz Baker (D); Jared Dubois (R); and Bronson Kekahuna Kaahui (L)
- State Representative, District 10: Angus McKelvey (D); and Chayne Marten (R)
- Mayor: Alan Arakawa; and Tamara Paltin
- West Maui Council: Kaʻala Buenconsejo; and Elle Cochran
- East Maui Council: Bob Carroll; and Nick Nikhilananda
- Wailuku, Waiheʻe, and Waikapū Council: Joseph Balckburn II; and Michael Victorino
- South Maui Council: Don Couch; and John Fitzpatrick
- Makawao, Haʻikū, and Pāʻia Council: Mike Molina; and Mike White
- Kahului Council: Don Guzman; and Joe Pontanilla
- Upcountry Council: Gladys Coelho Baisa
The mission of the West Maui Taxpayer Association is to “promote efficient use of the taxes generated locally to invest in the infrastructure, services and amenities that help ensure that West Maui remains one of the best places to live, work and visit in the world.”
The candidates night event will be broadcast live on Akakū Maui Community television.