Maui Waena’s Arase Named Maui District Teacher of the YearNovember 6, 2014, 11:12 AM HST · Updated November 6, 4:21 PM 0 Comments
By Wendy Osher
Maui teacher Richard Arase was selected as Maui District Teacher of the Year, and is one of seven teachers being considered for the 2015 State Teacher of the Year honor.
Arase is a seventh grade social studies teacher at Maui Waena Intermediate School in Kahului.
As a recipient of the District Teacher of the Year honor, Arase will receive gifts of instructional software from SMART Technologies and a monetary award from program sponsor, the Polynesian Cultural Center, during a ceremony scheduled to take place on Friday, Nov. 7, at the State Capitol.
Last year’s recipient was Anthony Kamakaʻeu Williams, a fourth grade teacher for the Pāʻia Hawaiian immersion program.
Arase will be joined by six other teachers from across the state who were also named District Teachers of the Year from their respective school districts.
One of the seven will be named 2015 State Teacher of the Year during tomorrow’s ceremony and will receive a free one-year lease on a new car from the Hawaiʻi Automobile Dealers’ Association.
Teachers being considered for the honor include:
- Richard Arase (Maui District, Maui Waena Intermediate),
- Catherine Caine (Honolulu District, Waikīkī Elementary),
- Elizabeth Frilles (Windward District, Olomana School),
- David Huitt (Hawaiʻi District, Kealakehe High),
- Marly Madayag (Kauaʻi, Kalāheo Elementary),
- Jamie Takamura (Central District, Red Hill Elementary), and
- Masaru Uchino (Leeward District, Momilani Elementary).