March 18, 2015, 10:47 AM HST
By Vanessa Wolf
Steak Au Poivre from a previous Makena event. Photo by Vanessa Wolf
This Saturday, March 21 the Makena Beach & Golf Resort brings back Castello Banfi Wines for a special six-course wine dinner.
The meal will pair the internationally acclaimed wines of Castello Banfi with the following special multi-course menu designed by the resort’s Chef De Cuisine Kurt Lesmerises.
- San Angelo Pinot Gris
- Cold Smoked Diver Sea Scallop with Hokkaido scallop, yuzu kosho jus, enoki mushrooms and tomato pearls
- Castello Banfi Belnero
- Alaskan King Crab and White Truffle Ravioli with morel cream, pecans, sun dried tomatoes and fried Kumu Farm’s carrots
- Banfi Chianti Classico
- 36 Hour Braised Berkshire Pork with sous vide belly, black garlic risotto, Kula lavender gastrique and garnished with blue borage
THIRD COURSE (INTERMEZZO)
- Haupia Sorbet garnished with fresh Makena coconut and a splash of Malibu Rum
- Castello Banfi Brunello di Montalcino
- Pasture-Raised Beef Short Rib with a brioche bun, pickled cucumber, triple cream brie and house-made pommes frites
Castello Banfi SummuS
Rosemary Roasted New Zealand Red Deer with soft Parmesan polenta, roasted Brussels sprouts, bacon lardons and poha berry demi-glace
Kula Strawberry Pavlova in meringue nests with strawberry cream and fresh Kula strawberries.
Special guest host Richard Rossi, the Western Regional Director of Banfi Vintners, has over 20 years of professional wine industry experience and is a University of California Davis Wine Executive Program Alumni and a UC Davis Extended Studies Wine Lecturer.
In addition, a portion of the proceeds from the event will benefit the Maui Hotel & Lodging Association’s annual Maui Charity Walk Fundraiser, which raises money for Hawaii’s local charities.
Held in the resort’s Molokini Bar & Grille, the dinner starts at 6:30 p.m. and is offered at $130 per person, plus tax and gratuity.
Seating is limited and reservations are required. Call 808-875-5888 to make yours.