Maui Discussion

Ask the Mayor: Who is Responsible for Maui’s Streetlights?

Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

Baldwin Avenue. Photo by Wendy Osher.

Baldwin Avenue. Photo by Wendy Osher.

Mayor Alan Arakawa answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his office staff.

Dear Mayor:

Q: Half of the public lights at the crossroad between Baldwin Avenue and Makawao Avenue in Makawao are off. Who is responsible for changing light bulbs in the light fixtures along public streets?

A: Streetlights are maintained and repaired by Maui Electric Co. To report a street light that is out or flashing on and off, call MECO’s trouble hotline at (808) 871-7777. On Lānaʻi, call (808) 565-6445 and on Molokaʻi, call (808) 553-3234.

Want to Ask the Mayor?


Submit your questions about County of Maui programs, services, operations or policies to Mayor Alan Arakawa via email at [email protected], by phone at 270-7855 or by mail to 200 S. High St., 9th Floor, Wailuku, HI 96793. Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the Ask the Mayor column.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Stay in-the-know with daily or weekly
headlines delivered straight to your inbox.
Mahalo for Subscribing
Make the most of your Maui vacation with these top-rated activities: Maui Top 20: Maui Visitor & Tourism Information


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments