FY17 Community Budget Meetings BeginSeptember 16, 2015, 8:30 AM HST · Updated September 16, 3:13 PM 0 Comments
By Maui Now Staff
***Please be advised that the Maui County Budget Meeting for South Maui has been canceled because of the tsunami watch from the Chile earthquake today. The meeting had been scheduled for 5:30 p.m. at the Kīhei Community Center, however at this time it is uncertain if the center might be needed for use as an emergency shelter.
Maui Mayor Alan Arakawa and his administration will host a series of community meetings in September and October to receive comments and suggestions from the public on the proposed Fiscal Year 2016-2017 budget.
The public is encouraged to attend meetings in their local area to offer input, either as an individual or on behalf of an organization.
Both written and verbal testimony will be accepted.
Tables will be set up to allow directors and staff from each County department to meet with members of the public, hear budget-related needs, listen to concerns and answer questions about various County-related issues. Attendees will be given a form upon arrival at the meeting to determine their needs, and which department their comments pertain to.
The meeting in each community will begin with an overview by Mayor Arakawa and Budget Director Sandy Baz, followed by approximately one hour for attendees to submit comments at the various department tables. To close the evening, the group will reconvene so that a recap can be made of the issues that were raised by attendees.
“This is a valuable opportunity for our citizens to have a say in how their taxpayer dollars are spent by the County,” said Mayor Arakawa in a County press release. “Many of the projects and new services that my Administration has implemented over the years were a direct result of the input from these community meetings. Suggestions from the public help us prioritize what is best for our community, and understand how to better serve our residents. Putting together the Maui County budget is a process in which everyone can take part,” he said.
The schedule and location of the Community Budget Meetings are as follows:
- West Maui: Monday, September 14, 2015, 5:30 p.m., Lahaina Civic Center
- South Maui: Wednesday, September 16, 2015, 5:30 p.m., Kīhei Community Center
- Central Maui: Thursday, September 17, 2015, 5:30 p.m., Velma Santos (Wailuku) Community Center
- Pāʻia/Haʻikū: Tuesday, September 29, 2015, 5:30 p.m., Haʻikū Community Center
- Upcountry: Wednesday, September 30, 2015, 5:30 p.m., Mayor Hannibal Tavares (Pukalani) Community Center, Social Hall
- Molokaʻi: Monday, October 5, 2015, 4 p.m., Mitchell Pauole Community Center
- Lānaʻi: Thursday, October 8, 2015, 4 p.m., Lānaʻi Senior Center
- East Maui: Monday, October 12, 2015, 5:30 p.m., Helene Hall
Staff from the Community Development Block Grant office will also be on-hand to offer information and gather public input on the use of the County’s funds from the US Department of Housing and Urban Development.