Fundraising Sets Record at 2015 Maui Paddle for A CureOctober 28, 2015, 2:24 PM HST · Updated October 29, 9:10 AM 0 Comments
*Video Credit: Marlo Antes.
The 2nd Annual Paddle For a Cure fundraising event at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort earlier this month raised more than double its $15,000 fundraising goal, setting a record with more than $36,000 collected.
The Maui Paddle for a Cure fundraiser was held on Saturday, Oct. 3, 2015 and drew an estimated 267 participants, more than double from the inaugural event last year.
The funds will benefit Susan G. Komen Hawaiʻi with money to be used to raise awareness of and support for breast cancer education, prevention and treatment in the islands.
Event organizers say additional funds are being raised this month through the sale of resort offerings and specials, and will be added to the overall tally.
Organizers say the event is now recognized as the largest community or corporate fundraiser to benefit Susan G Komen Hawaiʻi on record.
In a press release statement, Hyatt Regency Maui General Manager Allan Farwell said, “We are absolutely thrilled to present Susan G. Komen with over $36,000 to help support breast cancer education, screening and treatment here in Hawaiʻi.”
He said, “Breaking Susan G. Komen Hawaiʻi’s record for a community fundraiser is an incredible achievement and we are already planning for next year in hopes of exceeding this year’s amount.”
The event was presented in partnership with The Butterfly Effect, presenting sponsor, Maui Jim, and supporting sponsors Kāʻanapali Surf Club, Pakaloha Bikinis and the Kāʻanapali Golf Course.
Hawaii-based singer and musician, Anuhea performed an exclusive concert at the event after-party oceanside at Sunset Terrace for the second year, where attendees enjoyed food and drink and a silent auction.
In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, 100% of donations and registration fees will support Susan G. Komen Hawaiʻi. The top fundraising individual won a two-night stay in a Hyatt Regency Maui suite, and the top fundraising team won $500 to Japengo, both by raising over $5,000.
The resort is continuing to raise money throughout the month of October through the following efforts:
- Japengo restaurant will donate $1 for every Sashimi Style Hamachi & Watermelon and Rising Sun Roll sold to Susan G. Komen Hawaiʻi.
- Poolside ‘Umalu restaurant will donate $1 for every Strawberry Lemonade and Lavender Strawberry Cheesecake sold to Susan G. Komen Hawaiʻi.
- Select pink items will be available at the Pool Desk for purchase, with $1 of proceeds from each purchase going to Susan G. Komen Hawaiʻi.
- Throughout the month of October, the resort featured pink Susan G. Komen Promise bracelets for guests to purchase for $3 or 2 for $5, with proceeds benefiting Susan G. Komen Hawaiʻi.
- Contributions will also be made from Drums of the Pacific Lūʻau VIP tickets and 22 oz Bone-In Rib Eyes from Son’z Steakhouse, sold during the month of October.