Keʻanae Structure Destroyed in Fire, $31K Damage
A structure used as a part-time residence and storage facility for taro farming in Keʻanae was destroyed in a fire on Tuesday night, Dec. 15, 2015, according to fire officials.
The incident was reported at 6:09 p.m. on Wailua Nui Road at a 750 square-foot structure.
Fire officials say firefighters from the Hāna station arrived on scene at 6:56 p.m. and found the structure had already burned and collapsed.
According to department reports, the fire was contained at 7:05 p.m. and fully extinguished at 10:10 p.m.
Fire officials say there were four occupants home at the time of the fire, and that a neighbor called in the report. Occupants told fire officials that the fire started in the open patio area in an electrical generator, which was used to power lights to the residence.
Acting Maui Fire Services Officer, Captain Rylan Yatsushiro said initial attempts by the occupants to extinguish the fire were unsuccessful and the structure became totally engulfed.
Capt. Yatsushiro said there were no injuries and the fire does not appear to be suspicious in nature.
Damages were estimated at $25,000 to the structure and $6,000 to its contents.