Maui News

Faulty Cooking Equipment Sparks Happy Valley Fire

December 25, 2015, 3:02 PM HST
* Updated December 25, 3:03 PM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

Firefighters from Wailuku and Kahului responded to a report of a structure fire in Happy Valley this morning at 4:53 am. At the scene they discovered an enclosed garage, which was part of a vacant building located at the corner of Kahawai Street and North Market Street, on fire.

Maui Fire Captain Paul Haake said the fire or was quickly brought under control and then extinguished.

An investigation into the cause of the fire determined that the fire was the result of the use of faulty cooking equipment, according to Capt. Haake.

Fire damages were estimated at $25,000 to the structure and $5000 to its contents. There were no injuries to report.

Make the most of your Maui vacation with these top-rated activities: Maui Top 20: Maui Visitor & Tourism Information
E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments