Maui Discussion

Ask the Mayor: How Can I Clear My Name From a False Accusation?

December 27, 2015, 12:00 PM HST
* Updated December 27, 8:29 AM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

Maui Now photo.

Maui Now photo.

Mayor Alan Arakawa answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his office staff.

Aloha Mayor,

Q: I’m curious what if anything happens or can be done to clear a person’s name from a restraint order after a false report of breaking the said restraining order has been dismissed. How come the accuser gets away and nothing is done to prevent their harmful actions? People lose jobs, homes, children from these false allegations. What are Maui laws regarding this? Thank you.

A: I asked our Maui County Prosecuting Attorney about this, and was informed that a falsely accused person may hire a lawyer to expunge his or her arrest record, but only if the prosecuting attorney’s office decides not to prosecute.

Want to Ask the Mayor?


Submit your questions about County of Maui programs, services, operations or policies to Mayor Alan Arakawa via email, by phone at 270-7855 or by mail to 200 S. High St., 9th Floor, Wailuku, HI 96793. Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the Ask the Mayor column.



Make the most of your Maui vacation with these top-rated activities: Maui Top 20: Maui Visitor & Tourism Information
E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments