No Tsunami Threat to Hawaiʻi After Large Mexico QuakeJanuary 21, 2016, 8:37 AM HST · Updated January 21, 8:41 AM Wendy Osher · 0 Comments
There is no tsunami threat to Hawaiʻi following a preliminary magnitude 6.9 earthquake reported at 8:07 a.m. on Thursday, Jan. 21, 2016 off the coast of Jalisco, Mexico.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issued an information statement saying, “based on all available data, a destructive Pacific-wide tsunami is not expected and there is no tsunami threat to Hawaiʻi.”
The USGS reports that the quake was located:
- 134 miles SW of Tomatlan, Mexico;
- 158 miles W of Cihuatlan, Mexico;
- 166 miles SW of Puerto Vallarta, Mexico;
- 171 miles SW of Ixtapa, Mexico; and
- 513 miles W of Mexico City, Mexico.