Ask the Mayor: Can Speed Traps Be Set on Private Roads?

January 24, 2016, 12:02 PM HST · Updated January 24, 8:13 AM

Speed Enforcement Team officers. Photo by Wendy Osher.

Speed Enforcement Team officers. Photo by Wendy Osher.

Mayor Alan Arakawa answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his office staff.

Dear Mayor Arakawa,

Q: Twice within the past week I have noted what I presume to be a speed trap on Waiale Road, between Kuikahi Drive and Waiko Road, across from Waikapū Gardens subdivision.

While I am not necessarily opposed to speed traps, I understand that that stretch of road is still owned by the Waikapū Gardens HOA.


Are police allowed to give citations for moving violations on property that is not government-owned?

A: Yes, police officers are allowed to enforce laws on this road. Any roadway that has been open to the public for more than six months and its owner has the intention of turning the roadway over to the county, makes it enforceable, as is the case with Eha Street in Wailuku.

Want to Ask the Mayor?

Submit your questions about County of Maui programs, services, operations or policies to Mayor Alan Arakawa via email, by phone at 270-7855 or by mail to 200 S. High St., 9th Floor, Wailuku, HI 96793. Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the Ask the Mayor column.




Share this Article

Sign up to receive important news alerts like tsunami warnings,
floods, traffic accidents, road closures and more.
Phone # (xxx-xxx-xxxx):

    View Categories
    Promote Your Maui Business for Free Add Your Listing

    Weekly Newsletter

    This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion.

    I Understand, Show Comments