Kahoʻolawe Fire Sparked by Catalytic ConverterApril 16, 2016, 8:50 PM HST · Updated April 18, 5:01 AM 0 Comments
A brush fire on Kahoʻolawe on Saturday afternoon was sparked by a vehicle’s catalytic converter.
The fire burned a total of 15 acres before being brought under control.
The incident was reported at 2:52 p.m. on Saturday, April 16, as dispatchers received numerous calls from individuals in south Maui reporting lots of smoke could be seen rising from the island.
Personnel from the Wailea fire station confirmed a large smoke column of smoke coming from the island and the department’s helicopter was dispatched to investigate.
When Air 1 arrived, the pilot reported about 10 acres of brush and kiawe on fire. Air 2 was quickly dispatched to assist before the fire spread beyond control.
When both helicopters left the island at 6:20 p.m., the fire was 100% contained and had burned an additional five acres.