Brush Fire Along Highway Sparked from Cooking Fire
Lahaina firefighters responded to a brush fire mauka of the Honoapiʻilani Highway near the Lahaina Fire Station at around 4:19 p.m. on Thursday afternoon, Aug. 18, 2016.
Crews arrived at 4:22 p.m. to find a 10 x 40 foot fire next to the highway. Firefighters quickly brought the fire under control and had the fire extinguished about 30 minutes later.
Maui Fire Services Chief Edward Taomoto said crews questioned a man who was standing nearby and found that the man had just started a fire to cook a meal. The man who was apparently homeless, apologized for starting the fire.
According to FSC Taomoto, the winds suddenly became gusty, and the fire quickly spread to the nearby brush.
The fire was ruled accidental.
A Maui Electric Company utility pole sustained minor charring in the incident.