Ask the Mayor: How Do I Obtain a TWIC Card?

June 19, 2017, 7:50 AM HST · Updated June 19, 9:56 AM

Mayor Alan Arakawa answers some of the questions submitted to his staff.

Submit your own questions about County of Maui programs, services, operations or policies to Mayor Alan Arakawa at [email protected], 270-7855 or mail them to 200 S. High St., 9th Floor, Wailuku, HI 96793.

Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the “Ask the Mayor” column.

no slideshow

NCL cruise ship at Kahului Harbor. Photo by Wendy Osher.



Q: What is the process for obtaining a TWIC card? I need to get one for a job I’m applying for but I’m not sure where to call.

A: You can actually apply online for a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) card. This card is required by the Maritime Transportation Security Act for workers who need access to secure areas of the nation’s maritime facilities/vessels.

TSA conducts a security threat assessment (background check) to determine a person’s eligibility and issues the credential. U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens in certain immigrant/non-immigrant categories may apply for the credential.

Go online to apply, or for more information such as which documents will be required. You can also apply online to transfer your TWIC card, or replace a lost, stolen or damaged card.





Share this Article

Sign up to receive important news alerts like tsunami warnings,
floods, traffic accidents, road closures and more.
Phone # (xxx-xxx-xxxx):

    View Categories
    Promote Your Maui Business for Free Add Your Listing

    Weekly Newsletter

    This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion.

    I Understand, Show Comments