Maui Hearing on Boating Rule Changes, July 26July 21, 2017, 5:26 PM HST · Updated July 22, 9:46 AM 3 Comments
The Department of Land and Natural Resources, Division of Boating and Ocean Recreation will hold public hearings statewide starting next week on proposed amendments to state boating rules.
The Maui meeting is set for Wednesday, July 26, 2017 from 5 to 7 p.m. at the Velma McWayne Santos Community Center in Wailuku.
The amendments to Hawaiʻi Administrative Rules are being proposed to allow DLNR to better manage and facilitate boating and ocean recreation-related activities within State small boat harbors and nearshore waters, and to reorganize the HAR provisions relating to DOBOR for clarity and general efficacy.
“This extensive rule package contains modifications we have wanted to make for many years,” says Ed Underwood, DOBOR administrator. “Some amendments are being proposed because facility management and the ocean recreation industry are changing rapidly and our existing rules cannot address the way people are using our harbors and the ocean today. Some rules are being repealed because they are obsolete. In all cases, the rules being proposed will allow DOBOR to do its job of managing its facilities and responsibilities more effectively.”
Proposed amendments to Hawaiʻi Administrative Rules,Title 13, Subtitle 11, Ocean Recreation and Coastal Areas, parts I, II and III, are posted on the DOBOR website.
Hearings to present the rules and accept public testimony will be held at the following times and locations across the state:
- Kauaʻi: Monday, July 24, 2017, 6 to 8 p.m. at Wilcox Elementary School Cafeteria, Līhue.
- Maui: Wednesday, July 26, 2017, 5 to 7 p.m. at Velma McWayne Santos Community Center, Wailuku.
- Hilo: Thursday, July 27, 2017, 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. at the Hilo State Building Conference Room 75 Aupuni Street.
- Kona: Friday, July 28, 2017, 6 to 8 p.m. at Kealakehe High School Cafeteria, Kailua-Kona.
- Oʻahu: July 29, 2017, 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. at ʻAiea Elementary School Cafeteria.
During the comment period DOBOR will only accept testimony on the rules proposed for amendment. All interested parties are invited to attend the meetings and to present their views on the
proposed amendments, either orally or in writing. All forms of written comments will be accepted up to one week following the last public hearing date, by midnight on Saturday Aug. 5, 2017.
If you are unable to attend the public hearing to submit your testimony, written testimony may
be submitted in the following ways:
1) By e-mail to [email protected], Subject: Rule Amendment Package 2017;
2) By fax to (808) 587-1977, Attn: Rule Amendment Package 2017.
3) By mail to the Dept. of Land & Natural Resources, 1151 Punchbowl Street, Room 130, Honolulu, Hawaiʻi 96813. Attn: Chairperson. Re: Rule Amendment Package 2017.
Scroll Down to Read 3 Comments