“Makawao Mo Bettah Motown” Third Friday, Aug. 18
This month’s Makawao Third Friday event takes place tonight, Aug. 18, 2017, from 6 to 9 p.m. This month’s theme is “Makawao Mo Bettah Motown.” Those in attendance can enjoy free entertainment, food trucks and booths, art and crafts, a Keiki Zone and local shopping and dining.
Live Music and Entertainment
● Main Stage next to Rodeo General Store: “Makawao Hometown Motown” Jerry Caires Jr. Band. Makawao raised Jerry Caires and his band will be rocking Motown classics
● Maui’s favorite emcee extraordinaire, Kathy “Tita” Collins will also be on the main stage setting the tone and announcing other features of the event and adding good cheer and laughter to the party
● Magician Timothy Went will be performing his European style street magic
● Fire Dancer extraordinaire Travis French’s Exhibition of Tales of Fire
● Fleur De Lei will have live jazz and a bubbly celebration for the launch of their new website
● The Get Up and Dance Troupe will be boogying down with their entertaining street line dancing
● Makawao Steak House features new entertainment monthly
Makawao Third Friday has a new information booth in the Maui Hands lot. The new info booth is located on Makawao Avenue and is a place where volunteers can answer visitor questions, offers lost and found section and new Makawao Town merchandise will be available for sale.
Komoda Bakery Keiki Zone
The Komoda keiki zone this month features the Maui Spider Jump. Crystalline will offer balloon twisting creations and Melissa Buck of Rainbow Art offers one-of-a-kind creative face painting. There will also be hula hooping and lots of big and tiny bubbles for big and tiny people.
Continuing Down Baldwin
Live music is happening on the street at the Makawao Steak House, and their store front pop-up will be serving some burgers and tater tots. Sip Me will have outside bistro style seating and “Affogato-bout it”, a tasty moist brownie topped with Gelato from Ono Gelato, with espresso shot.
More Exciting Highlights
Maui Hands Art Gallery will feature their resident artist of the month, Makawao pastelist and encaustic artist Kathleen O’Bryan. As a fine art colorist, Kathleen discovered that with undiluted, dry pigment soft pastello, she could create saturated hues that brought emotional expressions to expansive skies and infinite landscapes.
Maui Classic Cruisers Club will be showing off their hot rods, muscle cars, and vintage machines at the top of Baldwin Avenue and bottom by Brewer Road. Guests can talk story with some of Maui’s coolest car owners. Artists Max Ross, live painter, spray can artist, and Dylan Kauz, mixed media artist and community muralist, will be painting and showcasing their stunning art creations next to the main stage.
M3F Food Courts and Restaurants
Guests are invited to enjoy dinner at any one of the award winning Makawao Restaurants, or enjoy casual dining at the pop-up food court along Baldwin Avenue. New vendors join regulars, adding a variety of new eats and treats.
Free Parking Available in the Following Areas
● Makawao Base Yard (Across from St. Joseph’s Church)
● 2 Parking lots on Brewer Road
● Makawao Municipal Parking Lot on Makawao Avenue