Maui News

Big Island High School Students Taken to Hospital After Eating Pot Brownies

March 9, 2018, 3:02 PM HST
* Updated March 9, 3:04 PM
A
A
A

Brownies. Maui Now Stock Photo

A female juvenile from Kealakehe High School was transported to the Kona Hospital on Thursday, March 8, after she allegedly ingested a brownie containing marijuana.

Officials say the female student passed out and began experiencing convulsions. Later, a second juvenile female was transported to the hospital after ingesting brownies.

Upon investigation, Hawaiʻi Island police determined that another student had sold her a brownie believed to contain marijuana. The student was brought to the office, and additional brownies were located in his backpack by school officials. A second student was also located in possession of a brownie and had additional marijuana in his backpack, which was located upon search, by school officials.

The responsible party, a 16-year-old male, was kept in custody and transported this morning to Hale Hoʻomalu Juvenile Detention Facility in Kapolei.

He has been charged with Promoting a controlled substance, on, or near schools, school vehicles, public parks, or public housing projects or complexes. Additionally, he has been charged with Assault in the third-degree.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

Both of the females have been released from the hospital.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

If anyone has information on this incident, contact Officer Mike Thompson at (808) 935-3311.

E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App

Comments

This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments