Big Island High School Students Taken to Hospital After Eating Pot Brownies
A female juvenile from Kealakehe High School was transported to the Kona Hospital on Thursday, March 8, after she allegedly ingested a brownie containing marijuana.
Officials say the female student passed out and began experiencing convulsions. Later, a second juvenile female was transported to the hospital after ingesting brownies.
Upon investigation, Hawaiʻi Island police determined that another student had sold her a brownie believed to contain marijuana. The student was brought to the office, and additional brownies were located in his backpack by school officials. A second student was also located in possession of a brownie and had additional marijuana in his backpack, which was located upon search, by school officials.
The responsible party, a 16-year-old male, was kept in custody and transported this morning to Hale Hoʻomalu Juvenile Detention Facility in Kapolei.
He has been charged with Promoting a controlled substance, on, or near schools, school vehicles, public parks, or public housing projects or complexes. Additionally, he has been charged with Assault in the third-degree.
Both of the females have been released from the hospital.
If anyone has information on this incident, contact Officer Mike Thompson at (808) 935-3311.