Maui News

Pu‘unēnē Brush Fire Ruled Accidental

Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

Brush fire. Maui Now image.

An afternoon brush fire in Pu‘unēnē on Thursday was ruled to be accidental.

Maui fire officials say the 20 x 60 foot fire was caused by a utility pole guy wire that broke off and contacted a nearby power line. Maui Fire Services Chief Edward Taomoto said the brush below the power line likely caught on fire after the ensuing electrical arc showered hot sparks below.

The incident was reported at 2:25 p.m. on Thursday, May 10, 2018 near the Pu‘unēnē Post Office on Hansen Road. Callers reported hearing a loud explosion followed by a fire starting in the brush.

Firefighters arrived 2:34 p.m. and found two small fires burning in the brush 150 yards off of Hansen Road across from the post office. Crews had the fire under control by 2:50 p.m.and extinguished at 3:22 p.m.

There were no injuries and no structures were threatened.


A battalion chief and hazardous materials crew from Kahului were first on scene. An engine and water tanker from Wailuku and Wailea also assisted.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Stay in-the-know with daily or weekly
headlines delivered straight to your inbox.
Mahalo for Subscribing
Make the most of your Maui vacation with these top-rated activities: Maui Top 20: Maui Visitor & Tourism Information


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments