Maui Discussion

Ask the Mayor: What Permits are Needed for a Roving Food Truck?

July 6, 2018, 1:13 PM HST
* Updated July 6, 12:25 PM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

PC: Ānuenue Juice Truck.

Mayor Alan Arakawa answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his staff.

Aloha Mayor,

Q:  Aloha, I currently have a fully operational food truck on Lānaʻi. It is called Ānuenue Juice Truck. We offer smoothies, fresh cold pressed juice, and Acai Bowls. I am looking for more locations/opportunities to park and sell my product. Can I drive around and park in residential neighborhoods? Similar to an ice cream truck? Can I drive around and park in commercial areas? 

A: Yes, there is something called a “Roving Vendor Permit” required from our Division of Motor Vehicles and Licensing. Please note that this is a separate permit from the one you need from the State Department of Health to be a permitted mobile unit.

Want to ask the Mayor? Submit your own questions about County of Maui programs, services, operations or policies to Mayor Alan Arakawa at [email protected], (808) 270-7855 or mail them to 200 S. High St., 9th Floor, Wailuku, HI 96793. Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the “Ask the Mayor” column.

E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments