MLB Legends Participating in Youth Baseball Clinics
Local youth will have an opportunity to play with their big league heroes at the Major League Baseball Players Alumni Association Legends for Youth baseball clinic series.
In partnership with Chevy Youth Baseball, the free clinics will feature former Indians teammates Albie Lopéz and Rene Gonzales, as well as left-handed pitcher Onan Masaoka, Hawaiʻi native Joey Meyer, right-handed pitcher Glenn Mickens, nine-year MLB veteran Ron Robinson and right-handed pitcher Tyler Yates.
Lopéz spent 11 years in the majors, playing for the Indians, Rays, Royals, Diamondbacks and Braves, winning a World Series with Arizona in 2001. Gonzales’ career spanned 13 seasons, mainly as an infielder, with the Orioles, Angels, Expos, Rockies, Rangers, Indians and Blue Jays.* The clinics and autograph sessions will occur from Monday, July 16 through Thursday, July 19, as listed below.
The clinics will take place across the islands at various venues. Each of the four clinics will run from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. Clinicians will train at stations including pitching, catching, base running and life skills for approximately 200 local youth ages 6 to 16. The clinics will conclude with an autograph session for children in attendance.
Full Clinic Schedule:
- Monday, July 16: Legends for Youth Clinic in Oʻahu, Hawaiʻi held at Mililani High School.
- Tuesday, July 17: Legends for Youth Clinic in Hilo, Hawaiʻi held at Wong Stadium.
- Wednesday, July 18: Legends for Youth Clinic in Līhuʻe, Hawaiʻi held at Līhuʻe County Park (Main Diamond).
- Thursday, July 19: Legends for Youth Clinic in Wailuku, Maui held at Maehara Baseball Stadium.
- Registration is closed at this time.