Maui Discussion

Ask the Mayor: How Do I Request Safety Improvements on Makawao Avenue?

August 10, 2018, 2:41 PM HST
* Updated August 10, 12:55 PM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

Mayor Alan Arakawa answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his staff.

Dear Mayor Alan Arakawa,

Q: Is it possible to move or remove one or both telephone poles at the Makawao Avenue entrance of Eddie Tam gym? When exiting the park the two poles obstruct the view of Makawao bound traffic. On trash days, trash receptacles further limit viewing on this incline. As a long time resident of Makawao, I have seen both traffic and speed of vehicles increase in this area. Can something be done to provide a better view of traffic?

A: I think anyone who has ever had to make a left or even right turn back onto Makawao Avenue from Eddie Tam can sympathize with you, including myself. There’s a project slated for 2021 by the Department of Public Works to make Makawao Avenue and Makani Road improvements that will look at whether some of these poles need to be moved to accommodate the new sidewalk/path to [and] from the gym to Kalama School. The engineers haven’t gotten to that point in the design yet but they will keep your request in mind when they do.

Want to ask the Mayor?


Submit your questions about County of Maui programs, services, operations or policies to Mayor Alan Arakawa via email: [email protected], phone: 270-7855 or mail: 200 S. High Street 9th Floor, Wailuku, Hawaii 96793.  Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the Ask the Mayor column.

E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments