Maui Marathon Road Closures and Traffic Delays, Oct. 14
The 48th annual Maui Marathon will take place this Sunday, Oct. 14, 2018.
Motorists are advised to expect traffic delays, road closures and re-routing throughout the morning of the event and until approximately 1:30 p.m.
The Marathon starts in Kahului at 5 a.m. and the Half-Marathon, 10K and 5k races will begin at 5:30 a.m. in front of the Kāʻanapali Beach Hotel.
Several off-duty Maui police officers will be posted throughout the course directing traffic for the safety of all runners.
Motorists are advised to drive safely and be aware of runners on the road.
The Race Directors of the Maui Marathon would like to thank the community in advance for their patience so that the runners may enjoy a safe and pleasurable event.
Here is a list of road and lane closures and times:
- Hoʻokele Street (South Bound), from Hāna Highway to Maui Veterans “Mokulele” Highway – closed to traffic from 4:15 to 5:30 a.m.
- Maui Veterans “Mokulele” Highway (Kahului bound), from Hoʻokele Street to Airport Access Road – closed to traffic 4:15 to 5:30 a.m.
- Kūihelani Highway/Dairy Road/Puʻunēnē Avenue intersection will be regulated by off-duty police officers from 4:30 to 6 a.m.
- Kūihelani Highway, outer Kahului bound lane, from Puʻunēnē Ave to Honoapiʻilani Highway will be closed allowing for a large safe travel area for runners while leaving the inner lane open for vehicular traffic.
- Honoapiʻilani Highway, Wailuku bound lanes within the tunnel, will be closed from 5:30 to 11 a.m. to give runners safe travel through the tunnel. Two off-duty police officers, one on each side, will be posted at the tunnel and alternate traffic flow through the tunnel.
- Entire length of Front Street, Wailuku (south) bound lane only, will be closed from 4:15 a.m. to approximately 1 p.m.
- The entire mauka lane of Kāʻanapali Parkway will be closed for the duration of the event and will result in contraflow of traffic to resorts and Whalers Village.
- Set-up of finish line will start Saturday and traffic on the Kāʻanapali Parkway mauka lane specifically from the Westin Maui Resort & Spa and Kāʻanapali Beach Hotel will be closed. Contraflow of traffic will be established to resorts and Whalers Village.
- Kekaʻa Drive will be closed from the Kualapa Loop to the Kāʻanapali Parkway from 2 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Traffic from the Royal Lahaina Resort and residents will enter and exit from the Honoapiʻilani Highway.
- Entry to Kāʻanapali Parkway will only be accessible from the Honoapiʻilani Highway.
More information about the 2018 Maui Marathon can be found online at www.mauimarathon.com.