Maui News

Leaking Propane Tank Ignites Fire

December 19, 2018, 6:53 AM HST
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

A leaky propane tank is to blame for a balcony fire at a second-story condo unit at Kīhei Villages in South Maui. The incident was reported at 7 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 17, 2018.

Upon arrival, crews found the fire had already been extinguished by residents.

Maui Fire Services Chief Rylan Yatsushiro said it was initially believed that the fire was sparked by a Christmas tree, but upon further investigation, fire officials say the fire is believed to have been ignited by a leaking 5-gallon propane cylinder.

The cylinder which was still actively leaking was moved to an area away from residents and structures where the remaining propane was transferred in to a functioning tank by Hazmat team personnel.

There were no injuries to report as a result of the fire.

Make the most of your Maui vacation with these top-rated activities: Maui Top 20: Maui Visitor & Tourism Information
E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments