Ask the Mayor: How Can I Report Illegal Rentals?

January 27, 2019, 2:30 PM HST · Updated January 30, 11:29 AM

Maui County Mayor Michael Victorino answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his staff.

Q: The houses across the street from us are very likely using the premises as an illegal short-term vacation rental. They let out like they are letting friends stay there, but I don’t really believe it. No one has that many friends good enough to turn over their home to for free. How are we supposed to handle a situation like this?

A: Cracking down on illegal short-term rentals and building more long-term, affordable housing continues to be among my top priorities. Maui County’s Zoning and Enforcement Division monitors for all permitted and illegal vacation rentals.

Residents can do their part by submitting a Request for Service if they suspect an illegal rental. The RFS process serves as the county’s one-stop information and assistance program that can help answer county-related questions and help address issues with county services.


To report illegal rentals, visit or call the Zoning and Enforcement Division at 270-7253.

Want to ask the Mayor?

Submit your Maui County related questions to Mayor Michael Victorino by email at, by phone at (808) 270-7855 or via mail to 200 S. High Street, ninth floor, Wailuku, Hawaiʻi 96793.


Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the “Ask the Mayor” column.

Scroll Down to Read 26 Comments



Share this Article

Weekly Newsletter

View Comments