Maui Discussion

Ask The Mayor: What’s the Noise Ordinance for Ag Zones?

April 21, 2019, 12:00 PM HST
* Updated April 19, 11:15 AM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

Maui County Mayor Michael Victorino answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his staff.

Q:  Aloha, my question is because we are zoned Agriculture in Launiupoko, is our noise ordinance (quiet hours) after 9 p.m. and before 9 a.m.?

A:  Mahalo for your question and from what the state Department of Health, Indoor and Radiological Health Branch, has told us, there are no “quiet hours,” per se, in the state statute under community noise control.

However, if the property is zoned agriculture, they are not allowed to do work that exceeds 70 dBa any time on any day. A person would first need to obtain an approved community noise permit that allows them to exceed 70 dBa for agricultural activities only.

For more information and questions related to noise issues, please call the Department of Health, Indoor and Radiological Health Branch at (808) 586-4700.


Want to Ask The Mayor?


Submit your Maui County related questions to Mayor Michael Victorino by email at [email protected], by phone at (808) 270-7855 or via mail to 200 S. High Street, ninth floor, Wailuku, Hawaiʻi 96793.

Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the “Ask the Mayor” column.

Make the most of your Maui vacation with these top-rated activities: Maui Top 20: Maui Visitor & Tourism Information
E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments