Maui Police to Heighten Impaired Driving Enforcement During Cinco De MayoApril 30, 2019, 12:43 PM HST · Updated April 30, 12:43 PM 0 Comments
The Maui Police Department Traffic Section, will be conducting sobriety check points and saturation patrols at various locations to address impaired driving over the Cinco De Mayo weekend.
The heightened impaired driving enforcement begins this Friday, May 3, and continues through the weekend.
William Hankins, Commander, Maui Police Traffic Division said motorist can expect the Maui Police Department to take a “zero tolerance approach” to impaired driving. “Our goal is to promote voluntarily compliance of all traffic laws and reduce motor vehicle crashes on our roadways,” he said.
The Maui Police Department DUI Task Force Unit is also asking for the public’s assistance in
helping to keep Maui roadways safe, and offered the following tips:
- Plan a safe way home before you start celebrating.
- Before drinking, designate a sober driver. If you wait until you are impaired, you are more likely to make a bad decision.
- If you have been drinking, utilize UBER or LYFT, take a taxi, call a sober friend or family member.
- If you see an impaired driver on the road, call the Maui Police Department to report it. You could save a life.
- If you know someone who is about to drive while impaired, be a true friend and take his or her keys. Help them make other arrangements to get to where they are going safely.