Wailea Community Association Awards $30K in Scholarships
Wailea Community Association awarded scholarships totaling $30,000 to five Maui County seniors at a reception held in their honor at Tommy Bahamas Restaurant at The Shops at Wailea.
The 2019 Wailea Community Association scholarship recipients include:
- Kauilani Kaniaupio, Kamehameha Schools Maui attending Marist College, NY
- Josh Ooka, Baldwin High School attending University of California, Los Angeles
- Nikki Ooka, Baldwin High School attending University of Washington
- Kiana Over, Kamehameha Schools Maui attending Northern Arizona University
- Katrina Mae Tolentino, Maui High School attending University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa
For the 18th year, WCA’s Community Relations Committee reviewed numerous applications for their annual Scholarship Program, which offers Maui County’s high school seniors, an opportunity for financial assistance with their college education.
Applicants undergo an extensive application process which includes academic transcripts, letters of recommendation, school related awards, community service and a personal statement of their educational plans, career and personal goals. “We are always impressed by the students and their families”, said Bud Pikrone, WCA General Manager, “so we like to celebrate the family as well as the student. They all work together so well to provide this opportunity that will one day benefit the student, their family and the Maui community. We are humbled to help them achieve their goal.”