Maui News

One Person Injured, Combustion Fumes From Generator Spark Kīhei Structure Fire

Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

One person was injured when combustion fumes from a portable gasoline generator caused and explosion and sparked a structure fire in Kīhei on Monday evening, fire officials said.

Authorities say the combustion occurred after the generator was refueled and was being restarted. The explosion injured one individual and caused a fire within a storage structure.

The incident was reported at 5:34 p.m. on Monday, July 29, 2019 at a residence on Eleu Place.

Fire officials say the fire caused an estimated $2,500 in damage to an outside storage building and to contents within.

There was no damage to the primary structure on the property.


The fire was brought under control at 5:55 p.m. and extinguished at 5:59 p.m.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Stay in-the-know with daily or weekly
headlines delivered straight to your inbox.
Mahalo for Subscribing
Make the most of your Maui vacation with these top-rated activities: Maui Top 20: Maui Visitor & Tourism Information


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments