NEW! Maui Food Industry X-Celerator Program Offered OnlineAugust 15, 2019, 10:33 AM HST · Updated August 15, 10:33 AM 0 Comments
The Maui Food Innovation Center is now offering the Maui Food Industry X-celerator program on-line to support the Hawaiʻi’s food “startup” community.
The Maui Food Industry Accelerator Program (MFIX) is the first food-industry business accelerator program in the state of Hawaiʻi. MFIX allows businesses to identify areas for growth and improvement geared towards the special challenges and opportunities of the food industry for Hawaiʻi-grown and manufactured food products.
Through this eight-week food-industry business x-celerator program, cohorts of 12 participants will be guided by Greg Canbanting, local food marketing and distribution expert in weekly meetings that include:
- Presentations from leading industry expert(s) who are representative of local resources and/or an organization that are beneficial to the food manufacturers business success.
- Strategic planning, marketing, financing, sourcing, and/or other related food business challenges for food businesses based in Hawaiʻi
- Time for participants to solve problems collaboratively on their products and business development within cohort teams.
- Access to coaches who offer relevant industry expertise to work with them during the course.
- Selecting design and packaging options and a review of labeling regulations
- Financial business planning, business growth, and access to financial resources
- Access to the MFIC Certified Kitchen facility to test food products during the course and after completion.
At the end of the MFIX course, participants will be given an opportunity to showcase their food business at a “Showcase Pitch Event” judged by food manufacturing professionals. Judges will identify the top three businesses, who will be awarded with a portion of funding resources from various donors. Throughout the program, participants will have interactions with an expanded network of senior-level food-industry experts from multi-national food corporations, university research centers, and online food communities, thus leading to potential partnerships and opportunities.
After completion of the MFIX program, Alumni will be supported in applying for showcase events, such as the Made in Maui Festival, Made in Hawaiʻi Festival, Kapalua Wine and Food Festival and the Hawaiʻi Hospitality Industry Trade Show.
The MFIX program begins on Sept. 9, 2019 with applications being accepted now. Space is limited to 12 participants, at the cost of $349. Those interested in registering are encouraged to do so before the Sept. 6, 2019 deadline.