Khiara Henry Timeline and Interview with her FamilySeptember 13, 2019, 8:55 AM HST · Updated September 17, 8:21 AM 5 Comments
Search teams for Khiara Henry have mostly been looking for her in the area where her rental vehicle was found at Waiʻānapanapa State Park. But her family’s efforts have been spread all over the island.
“We’ve been looking in Kīhei, Kahului, Hāna, Nāhiku, we’ve been dropping flyers off, been meeting with the PD,” said father Kevin Henry in an interview with Maui Now. “We’ve been all over.”
Still, more than 7 weeks later and there has still been no sign of Khiara since she was last seen at the Hertz Rental Car facility at Kahului Airport on July 21.
To help with the search Maui Now worked together with Khiara’s family and the Maui Police Department to put together a timeline of events for the case. The timeline is as follows:
- Khiara checked into the Aston Maui Hill Hotel on July 18.
- Took a Hāna Tours of Maui bus tour that included Wainʻāpanapa Park on July 19.
- Took a tour with Hike Maui to Wailele Farms (Twin Falls) on July 20.
- Rented a vehicle from Hertz Rental Car at the Kahului Airport on July 21 at 2 p.m. – this is the last time she was seen. Her credit card and banking activity also stop on this day. Calls to Khiara’s cell phone start going straight to voicemail and has not been used since prior to her disappearance.
- On July 25 Khiara’s rental vehicle was reported by Wainʻāpanapa Park officials and a “suspicious activity” case is documented by Hāna Patrol.
- On July 26 Kīhei Patrol received a call from Khiara’s sister to report her missing. A missing persons case is now officially documented by MPD.
- Also on July 26, Khiara’s rental car was noticed and called into MPD as abandoned by park officials. Hertz retrieved the car which had her luggage, as well as her credit card and ID (both hidden in the center console). The contents of the car were reported to MPD. Her cell phone, small backpack and car key were not in the car and have not been located. Maui Police Department officially asks for the public’s assistance in locating missing person Khiara Henry on July 28.
- Khiara does not appear for her scheduled flight home on July 29.
- On Sept. 7, Khiara’s family offered a $10,000 reward for any information leading to her safe return, and/or the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for her disappearance.
So far Khiara’s father says there have been no leads despite the offer of a reward, but the family says the support they’ve received – especially from the Hāna community- has helped to keep hope alive.
“It definitely humbled us to know that there are a lot of people out there that care about Kihara and that’s searching for her, we’re so grateful and appreciative of everything, all the support we’ve gotten,” he said.
Khiara Henry is described as 5’3” tall, 120 lbs. with brown eyes and brown hair.
To that description her father Kevin added, “She’s very adventurous, she prefers the outdoors, she likes hiking, she’s a vegan – she has multiple tattoos on her right arm, her hairstyle is very distinctive.”
If anyone who was in the Waiʻānapanapa area between July 21 and 26 and/or has information on her whereabouts, to contact Maui police at (808) 270-6516 or (808) 244-6400.
In the event of multiple tips, the reward will be given to the first applicable tip received, according to a family press release posted on the Find Khiara Facebook page. The instructions for the reward ask tipsters to use the Family Tip Line: (808) 757-5102.
The family also is raising funds to pay for divers, helicopter pilots, drone operators, flying in search dogs from other islands as well as other search related expenses. To donate click on this gofundme link.
Scroll Down to Read 5 Comments