Haleakalā National Park Entrance Fees Increase January 1

December 3, 2019, 12:36 PM HST · Updated December 3, 12:36 PM
0 Comments
×

Park entrance fee station. Photo courtesy Haleakalā National Park.

Haleakalā National Park, along with other national parks across America, will increase its entrance fees on Jan. 1, 2020.  The additional funds generated will provide funding for infrastructure and maintenance project to enhance the visitor experience.

In the new year, entrance fees to Haleakalā National Park will increase to $30 per vehicle, $25 per motorcycle and $15 per pedestrian or bicyclist. The receipt allows unlimited re-entry into either District of the park (Summit or Kīpahulu) for three days.

The cost of a Tri-Park Pass, the annual pass that allows visitors unlimited entry to the three fee-collecting national parks in Hawai‘i (Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park, Haleakalā National Park and Pu‘uhonua o Hōnaunau National Historical Park) will also increase from $50 to $55 on Jan. 1, 2020.

At Haleakalā National Park, approximately 80 percent of entrance fees stay in the park. The remaining 20 percent of entrance fee income is shared with other non-fee-collecting national parks throughout the US.

SPONSORED VIDEO

Haleakalā National Park welcomed 1,044,084 visitors in 2018.

“The combination of aging infrastructure and increased visitation has put a strain on national park roads, bridges, campgrounds, waterlines, bathrooms, and other visitor services and led to an $11.9 billion deferred maintenance backlog nationwide,” according to the NPS.

The current entrance fees of $25 per vehicle or $20 per motorcycle have been in effect since June 1, 2017. Haleakalā National Park is one of the 117 National Park Service sites that charge an entrance fee; entry into at least 300 other national parks remains free.

The price of the annual America the Beautiful National Parks & Federal Recreational Lands Annual Pass, and the Lifetime Senior Pass will remain $80.

Here is a summary of Park entrance fee changes:

Haleakalā National Park Entrance Fees Will Change January 1

Visitors can enjoy five free days at all fee-collecting national parks in 2020: Jan. 20 (Martin Luther King, Jr. Day); April 20 (first day of National Park Week and Junior Ranger Day); Aug. 25 (National Park Service birthday); Sept. 28 (National Public Lands Day); and Nov. 11 (Veterans Day).

ADVERTISEMENT

Print

Share this Article

BREAKING NEWS 
TEXT ALERTS
Sign up to receive important news alerts like tsunami warnings,
floods, traffic accidents, road closures and more.
Phone # (xxx-xxx-xxxx):
E-Mail:
 

    View Categories
    Promote Your Maui Business for Free Add Your Listing

    Weekly Newsletter

    ARTICLE COMMENTS ( 0 )
    This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion.

    I Understand, Show Comments