Maui Discussion

Ask the Mayor: Photoshoots on Kāʻanapali Beach

February 16, 2020, 12:01 PM HST
* Updated February 15, 7:57 PM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

Kāʻanapali Beach. PC: Kalani Prince.

Mayor Michael Victorino answers some of the most-asked questions.

Q: My husband has been asked by a friend to take some pre-wedding photos on Kaanapali Beach. Is this permitted?

A: It depends. If you are receiving compensation for these photos (as defined by the State
Department of Land and Natural Resources, compensation includes, but is not limited to,
monetary fees, barter, or services-in-kind), or if you are getting paid to take the photos or sell
the final product online or as a print to an individual or company, then YES, you need to obtain
a Standard Film Permit or Open and Accessible Film Permit (if applicable) to film on any state

The State of Hawaii Film Office has a lot of resources and information on this topic, and helps
clarify the difference between personal use and commercial activity. For more information on
film permit procedures, visit
If you have any questions or concerns about the state permitting process, contact the State of
Hawaii Film Office at (808) 586-2570 or [email protected]

Want to Ask the Mayor?


Submit your Maui County related questions to Mayor Michael Victorino by email at [email protected], by phone at 270-7855 or by mail at 200 S. High St., ninth floor, Wailuku 96793. Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the “Ask the Mayor” column; to request a personal response to a concern, email [email protected]

E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments