Public Asked to Remain Calm as County Monitors CoronavirusMarch 3, 2020, 1:08 PM HST · Updated March 3, 1:08 PM 0 Comments
County of Maui departments and agency partners are continuing to meet regularly to discuss continuity of operations plans and emergency procedures in response to the coronavirus (COVID-19).
“My staff and our County personnel continue to have regular video conference calls with the State Department of Health, Governor’s Office and emergency management agencies for status updates and to discuss emergency operations,” Mayor Michael Victorino said in a press release.
“We have no indication that shipments of supplies are being impacted by the coronavirus, so we are urging the public to not hoard supplies and remain calm. Residents and visitors are asked to have enough supplies in case they become sick and need to stay home.”
Additional sanitation supplies have been ordered for all floors of the County Building and posters with health safety guidance are being posted on the walls and inside the elevators.
Here is a list of steps residents and visitors can take to help prevent respiratory illness, including the coronavirus, during this flu season:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- A mask can be effective if you are ill and can prevent the spread of your illness. A mask is not effective to wear when you are welland want to protect yourself from someone who is ill.
Travelers are asked to review any Travel Advisories and Alerts for their destination(s) here.
The State Department and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention provide specific advice to travelers on its websites.For more information on how residents can prepare their home, click here.
A family plan worksheet can be downloaded here.
For a comprehensive list of specific measure you can take, click here.