State Seeks Applications for Transportation Alternatives Projects
* Updated March 3, 12:40 PM
The Highways Division of the Hawaiʻi State Department of Transportation is seeking project applications for the federally funded Transportation Alternatives program.
The program is for community-based projects that expand travel choices and enhance the transportation experience in Hawaiʻi.
Transportation Alternatives (TA) provides funding for programs and projects defined as transportation alternatives, including on- and off-road pedestrian and bicycle facilities; infrastructure projects for improving non-driver access to public transportation and enhanced mobility; community improvement activities; and environmental mitigation.
Applications for this funding opportunity must be received no later than May 10, 2021.
Entities eligible to receive TA funds include:
- Local governments (e.g. counties)
- Regional transportation authorities
- Transit agencies
- Natural resource or public land agencies
- School districts, local education agencies or schools
- Nonprofits responsible for the administration of local transportation safety programs
- Any other local or regional governmental entity with responsibility for, or oversight of, transportation or recreational trails (other than a metropolitan planning organization or a State agency) that the State determines to be eligible
If you are interested in applying, please visit the link to the Guide and Application here: https://hands.ehawaii.gov/hands/opportunities/opportunity-details/20006.
TA funds are made available to the State through the Federal Highway Administration and administered by HDOT, Highways Division, Planning Branch. This program provides 80 percent of project-related cost, with the remaining 20 percent provided by project sponsors. TA fund recipients will be required to provided assurance of Local Match.
TA projects are selected via a competitive scoring process. More details and information can be found on HDOT Highway’s Division website: https://highways.hidot.hawaii.gov/stories/s/Transportation-Alternatives-Funding-Program/kcrh-vrcf.