Eat Pizza To Protect Reefs at Fundraiser for Maui Nui Marine Resource Council
The Flatbread Company in Pāʻia is hosting a benefit night Nov. 23 with pizza proceeds going to the nonprofit Maui Nui Marine Resource Council that works to protect Maui’s coral reefs.
Between 5 p.m. and 9 p.m. on Nov. 23, the Flatbread Company will donate $3.50 for each large flatbread and $1.75 for each small flatbread sold in the restaurant or for takeout during the benefit. The Flatbread Company is located at 89 Hana Highway.
Maui Nui Marine Resource Council is celebrating 14 years of working with the local community to create culturally appropriate, effective science-based solutions to serious local threats facing our reefs. Projects include:
- Ocean water quality monitoring at 29 Maui beaches through the community-based program Hui O Ka Wai Ola
- Improving ocean water quality in Māʻalaea Bay by using caged oysters to filter sediment and other pollutants from the ocean water
- Preventing sediment and pollution runoff from Pohakea watershed into Māʻalaea Bay
- Educating visitors about protecting coral reefs by using only mineral-based sunscreens, avoiding walking or standing on corals, and keeping snorkel fins up and away from the reef while snorkeling
- Promoting reef friendly landscaping that avoids the use of reef-harming herbicides and pesticides
“We recognize that Tuesday evening will be a time when folks are preparing for their Thanksgiving feasts, so why not take a break from cooking dinner by ordering a delicious wood-fired Flatbread pizza — and experience the added satisfaction of helping to raise funds to protect Mauiʻs coastal waters and coral reefs,” said Anne Rillero, Communication, Community Outreach and Development Manager at Maui Nui Marine Resource Council. “Each pizza sold during this benefit night will make a difference.”
To learn more about Maui Nui Marine Resource Council, visit www.mauireefs.org.