PacWhale Eco-Adventures welcomes new eco-friendly vessel
PacWhale Eco-Adventures welcomed a new, custom-created vessel, the Ocean Legacy into its fleet on Thursday, with a Hawaiian blessing event.
The brand–new build “boasts innovative sustainability features that promise to revolutionize whale watching and other ocean tourism excursions,” according to an organization announcement.
The vessel, crafted specifically for PacWhale, is equipped with a myriad of eco-friendly additions including:
- Solar-charged house batteries.
- Dedicated tanks to capture “grey water” from onboard sinks and dishwashers thereby eliminating the commercially accepted practice of dumping chemical-tainted used water into the ocean.
- LED lighting throughout that reduces power needed from petroleum-driven sources.
- Permanent cup holders to keep reusable cups secured until placed into an onboard dishwasher.
- EPA Tier 3-compliant engines.
- ADA-compliant boarding and head (bathroom) access to accommodate limited-mobility passengers.
PacWhale Eco-Adventures is a for-profit social enterprise wholly owned by and benefiting the Pacific Whale Foundation, a nonprofit marine conservation organization.