Maui’s larger community centers to reopen after two year pandemic closure
The Department of Parks and Recreation will reopen its remaining community centers in April and May 2022 following a two year pandemic closure.
The community centers and their opening dates are:
- Lahaina Civic Center Social Hall, April 1
- Eddie Tam Social Hall, April 1
- Velma McWayne Santos Community Center, April 1
- Kīhei Community Center, April 30
- Mayor Hannibal Tavares Community Center, May 20
The community centers were closed in March 2020 because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
On March 1, 2022, the county reopened most community centers with capacities under 300 people.
The Waikapū Community Center is scheduled to reopen on Aug. 1 after completion of renovations. Upgrades include improvements and expansion of the existing community center building; two additional covered lānai; ADA accessibility; utilities; landscaping; and seal coating of the parking lot.