2012 Election Season Officially Begins on WednesdayJanuary 30, 2012, 11:04 AM HST (Updated January 30, 2012, 11:07 AM) · 0 Comments
By Wendy Osher
The 2012 election season in Hawaii officially gets underway on Wednesday, February 1, with the commencement of the candidate filing period.
Candidates seeking to be placed on the August 11, 2012 Primary Election ballot can file papers at election offices and county clerk facilities throughout the state.
The candidate filing deadline is 4:30 p.m. on June 5, 2012.
Until the state legislative reapportionment plan is complete, individuals may begin filings for only: county, Office of Hawaii Affairs and federal seats.
Candidate filing locations for federal and state elective offices include the following:
- Office of Elections: 802 Lehua Ave., Pearl City, Hawaii 96782. Phone: 808-453-VOTE. Neighbor Islands Toll Free: 1-800-442-VOTE. Monday – Friday, 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Office of Elections – Satellite Office: State Office Tower, 235 South Beretania St., Room 203. Phone: (808) 453-VOTE. Neighbor Islands Toll Free: 1-800-442-VOTE. April 1 – May 25, 2012: Tuesday and Wednesday only, from 8 a.m. to Noon, and 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. May 29 – June 5, 2012: Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to Noon, and 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Candidate filing locations for Mayor and City Council are as follows:
- Honolulu: Office of the City Clerk, Elections Division, Honolulu Hale, 530 South King St., Room 100, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813. Phone: (808) 768-3800. Monday – Friday, 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Candidate filing locations for federal, state, and county elective offices in their respective counties are as follows:
- Hawaii, Hilo: Office of the County Clerk, Elections Division, 25 Aupuni St., Suite 1502, Hilo, Hawaii 96720. Phone: (808) 961-8277. Monday – Friday, 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Hawaii, Kona: Satellite Desk – Kona, West Hawaii Civic Center, 74-5044 Ane Keohokalole Hwy., Building B, 2nd floor, Kailua-Kona, Hawaii 96740. Phone: (808) 961-8277. Wednesday, by appointment only.
- Maui: Office of the County Clerk, 200 South High St., Room 708, Wailuku, Hawaii 96793. Phone: (808) 270-7749. Monday – Friday, 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Kauai: Office of the County Clerk, Elections Division, 4386 Rice St., Room 101, Lihue, Hawaii 96766. Phone: (808) 241-4800. Monday – Friday, 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
For more information regarding candidate filing, go to www.hawaii.gov/elections.
***Supporting information courtesy Office of Elections, State of Hawaii.