Policy Committee to Review Nominees to Maui Boards & CommissionsFebruary 14, 2012, 11:27 AM HST · Updated February 14, 12:32 PM 0 Comments
By Wendy Osher
The Maui Council’s Policy Committee will review nominees to various boards and commissions during its upcoming meeting at 9 a.m. on Wednesday, February 15, 2012.
The council must approve or disapprove of the nominations by a March 31, 2012 deadline, or the nominations will be deemed approved by default.
The list of nominees appointed by the mayor, and awaiting council approval, include the following:
- Affirmative Action Advisory Council: Abelardo Corella (reappointment)
- Animal Control Board: Doreen Forsberg
- Board of Code Appeals: Todd Sherman; and Gerald Lee
- Board of Ethics: Randol Leach; and Norman Franco
- Board of Variances and Appeals: Teddy Espeleta; and Gene Abbott
- Board of Water Supply: Michael Suzuki; and Robert Joslin
- Civil Service Commission: Jon Santos (reappointment); Alice Lee, for a term expiring on March 31, 2013, to fill an existing vacancy due to the resignation of Delbert DeRego.
- Commission on Children and Youth: Autumn Arase; and Colin Hanlon
- Commission on Culture and the Arts: Clifford Libed (reappointment); and Stephen Hynson
- Commission on Naming Streets, Parks, and Facilities: Eric Cuomo; and Alan Fukuyama
- Cost of Government Commission: Jeffrey Halpin, for a term expiring on 3/31/2014; Ronald Kawahara, for a term expiring on 3/31/2014 (reappointment); Frank De Rego Jr., for a term expiring on 3/31/2014 (reappointment); Alexander Gat, for a term expiring on 3/31/2014; and Victoria Johnson, for a term expiring on 3/31/2014
- Council on Aging: Mary Margaret Baker; William Myrter; Maria Zielinski; and Martha Foit, for a term expiring on March 31, 2013, to fill an existing vacancy due to the resignation of Douglas Harr.
- Fire and Public Safety Commission: Doreen Gomes; and Patrick Borge
- Hana Advisory Committee: Clayton Carvalho, Jr.
- Lanai Planning Commission: Ralph Black; and James Clemens
- Liquor Control Adjudication Board: Doris Tanaka; and Patrick De Ponte
- Liquor Control Commission: William Kennison; and Neldon Mamuad
- Maui County Commission on Persons with Disabilities: Mikey Tomita (reappointment); Joseph Felipe; and Gayle Burton
- Maui County Cultural Resources Commission: Gaylord Kubota
- Maui County Grants Review Committee: William Lawson; and Susan Liscombe
- Maui County Outdoor Lighting Standards Committee: Todd Sherman
- Maui Planning Commission: Maxwell Tsai; and Wayne Hedani
- Molokai Planning Commission: Karen Ashley; and Amy Maeda
- Police Commission: Lawrence Ing; and Michael Wilson
- Real Property Tax Review Board: Bruce Erfer
- Salary Commission: Edward Tamori (reappointment)
- Subdivision Engineering Standards Committee: Darren Okimoto.
The Policy Committee, led by Chair Riki Hokama, will also consider the establishment of a sister-city relationship with Goyang City, Gyeonggi Province, in South Korea.