UHMC Faculty Member Earns Medal for ExcellenceMay 17, 2016, 9:19 AM HST · Updated May 17, 10:52 AM 0 Comments
Thomas K. Hussey, associate professor of automotive technology at the University of Hawai‘i Maui College was one of 17 teachers and researchers honored with a Regents’ Medal for Excellence. Hussey received his award for “Excellence in Teaching.”
“Every day, our outstanding faculty help our students and communities to a better future through exemplary teaching and research,” said University of Hawai‘i President David Lassner. “We honor these individuals today for their remarkable work and their commitment to UH and Hawaiʻi.”
Thirteen other University of Hawai‘i faculty members were also selected as recipients of the Regents’ Medal for Excellence in Teaching; three were selected as recipients of the Regents’ Medal for Excellence in Research (see below).
Five UH teachers have also been recognized with the Frances Davis Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching (see below).
In addition, a Windward Community College professor is this year’s recipient of the Masaki and Momoe Kunimoto Memorial Award for Outstanding Contributions to Vocational Education (see below).
The Regents’ Medal for Excellence in Teaching, which recognizes faculty who exhibit an extraordinary level of subject mastery and scholarship, teaching effectiveness and creativity, and personal values beneficial to students was awarded to:
- Tommylynn Benavente, Culinary Arts Professor, Professional Arts & Technology Division, Leeward Community College
- Dean Crowell, Assistant Professor, Carpentry Technology Program, Honolulu Community College
- Lisette Marie Flanary, Assistant Professor, College of Arts and Humanities – Academy for Creative
- Media, University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
- Michael A. Furuto, Assistant Professor of Mathematics, University of Hawai‘i—West O‘ahu
- David Gordon Garmire, Associate Professor, College of Engineering – Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
- Mazen Hamad, Associate Professor, Chemistry, University of Hawai‘i at Hilo
- Ann Y. Kennedy, instructor, accounting and business, Kaua‘i Community College
- Davin Kubota, Assis tant Professor of Languages, Linguistics, and Literature, Kapiolani Community College
- Robert D. Joseph, Astronomer, Institute for Astronomy, University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa, Dr. Joseph passed away on May 9, 2016.
- Mari Matsuda, Professor, William S. Richardson School of Law, University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
- Jessica Nishikawa, Assistant Professor, School of Nursing and Dental Hygiene – Department of Nursing, University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
- Maile M. Taualii, Assistant Professor, Office of Public Health Studies – Department of Public Health Sciences, University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
- Lance Uyeda, Assistant Professor of English, Windward Community College
The Regents’ Medal for Excellence in Research, which recognizes a faculty member’s scholarly contributions that expand the boundaries of knowledge and enrich the lives of all in th e community, nation and the world, was awarded to:
- Brian W. Bowen, Research Professor, School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology – Hawaiʻi Institute of Marine Biology, University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
- LoÏc Le Marchand, Professor, University of Hawaiʻi Cancer Center – Epidemiology Program, University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
- Kristin Pauker, Assistant Professor, College of Social Sciences – Department of Psychology, University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
The Frances Davis Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching recognizes dedication and demonstrated excellence as teachers of undergraduate students. It was established as a memorial to the late Frances Davis, who taught mathematics at Leeward Community College and UH Mānoa for 19 years. This year’s awardees are:
- Katherine “Sam” Geiling, Veterinary Technology Animal Science Instructor, Windward Community College
- Will Jonen, Assistant Professor, Math and Sciences Kapi‘olani Community College
- Joel A. LeBel, Graduate Assistant, College of Arts and Humanities – Department of Philosophy, University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
- Barbara Meguro, Instructor, Computer Science, University of Hawai‘i at Hilo
- Jamie Simpson Steele, Assistant Professor, College of Education – Institute for Teacher Education, Elementary Program, University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
The Masaki and Momoe Kunimoto Memorial Award for Outstanding Contributions to Vocational Education rewards outstanding achievement and significant contribution to vocational and technical education by a community college faculty member or student. The award was established by family members to honor the namesakes’ role in development of the food industry in Hawai‘i. This year’s winner is:
- Ingelia White, Professor of Botany and Microbiology, Windward Community College