Mechanical fire burns 3 acres in Kula, Maui

July 8, 2010, 11:47 PM HST · Updated July 9, 2:42 AM
0 Comments
×

A brush fire in Kula Thursday afternoon was caused by a piece of machinery that overheated, according to Maui authorities. The fire was first reported just before 4 p.m. on Thursday, July 8, 2010 at 13501 Haleakala Highway in the Kula area of Upcountry, Maui.

County officials say the blaze was accidentally sparked by an overheating digging machine that ignited surrounding brush. The fire burned three acres and caused an estimated $15,000 in damage to the machine when flames from the burning drill made contact with grass.

SPONSORED VIDEO

Fire crews from Makawao, Kula, and Kahului responded to the blaze, and had it extinguished by 6:30 p.m. No injuries were reported.

(Posted: 12:30 a.m. 7/9/10)

ADVERTISEMENT

Print

Share this Article

BREAKING NEWS 
TEXT ALERTS
Sign up to receive important news alerts like tsunami warnings,
floods, traffic accidents, road closures and more.
Phone # (xxx-xxx-xxxx):
E-Mail:
 

    View Categories
    Promote Your Maui Business for Free Add Your Listing

    Weekly Newsletter

    ARTICLE COMMENTS ( 0 )
    This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion.

    I Understand, Show Comments