J. Walter Cameron Center celebrates completion of Easter Seals facility improvementsOctober 13, 2010, 8:59 AM HST · Updated October 13, 8:59 AM 0 Comments
The J. Walter Cameron Center celebrated completion improvements at its Easter Seals Facility this week. The $252,976 project was paid for with grant funding from the County of Maui, Community Development Block Grant program through funding made available under the federal stimulus act. The Cameron Center also contributed $59,000 from its funds for the planning and design phase of the project.
Staff from the facility said the improvements were critical to ensuring the health and safety of facility users. Specifically, the rehabilitation activities included:
- Remodeling of the kitchen including: stove, microwave, two refrigerators units of 29 cubic ft. each, replacement of cabinets, dishwasher, trash disposal and a sink for ADA compliance and energy efficiency; removal and upgraded interior plumbing and electrical;
- Remodeling of four bathrooms. Removal of a bath top and replacement with roll-in shower accessible to wheelchairs; relocation and extension of existing walls for ADA compliance; replacement of five toilets for new water saving toilets and four sinks for ADA compliance and energy efficiency; removal and upgraded all inside plumbing;
- Refurbished 2,500 sq. ft. of interior ceilings;
- Accomplished fire safety/electrical system improvements for energy efficiency;
- Replacement and construction of four walls totaling 300 sq. ft. to accommodate air conditioner, support to kitchen equipment, and electrical and safety updates.
The J. Walter Cameron Center facility consists of over 48,000 square feet of accessible space, which also includes large public meeting rooms that are available to a variety of community organizations and public agencies. As many as 40,000 persons attend meetings, workshops and training sessions at Cameron Center facilities annually.